Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011)

I don’t know why I watched this movie again, but I’m glad I did. I didn’t like it last year, because I went in expecting Ali Zafar and instead it was all Imran Khan and Katrina Kaif. This time around, I wanted a mediocre rom-com for some background noise, and I ended up really enjoying it.
I’ve decided that I do like Katrina in this movie. It’s comfortably within her skills as an actor (unlike, say, Jab Tak Hai Jaan) and you have to admit she’s pretty adorable.





The plot is pretty standard. Kush (Imran) and his family are arranging his brother’s (Ali Zafar) marriage to Dimple (Katrina), but Kush and Dimple fall in love instead. They hatch plans, hijinks ensue, you get the idea. It’s not a deep movie with character development or anything, but it doesn’t have to be. I’m generally unimpressed with Imran’s ability to emote and romance, and there were parts that seemed a little forced, but I thought he and Katrina were able to pull off the proposal scene, it was pretty sweet.


There was far too little Ali in the movie. His reactions during Do Dhaari Talwaar were my absolute favorite part of the movie.





It’s a good movie for what it is: a shiny Yash Raj romance about rich people with plot holes large enough to drive a bus through.

No comments:

Post a Comment