Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dulaara, or, that sexy pants guy

Dulaara is why we have Meri Pant Bhi Sexy.




I can’t find a subtitled version on youtube, but the primary lyrics go something like
“I am so irresistible, all the girls love me, etc. etc.,”
“BECAUSE. . . My pants are sexy, my shirt is sexy, my hair is sexy, my walk* is sexy, my handkerchief is sexy toooooo.”


*so far as I can tell, whenever a Hindi song rhapsodizes about the qualities of anyone’s “chal”, they do in fact mean the person’s butt.


Also, you can’t tell from the youtube version, but Govinda’s sexy shirt has little mesh cut-out panels for extra sexy.



Anyway, this song is reason enough to watch the movie. If you haven’t seen it yet, you are MISSING OUT. It’s Govinda-riffic. It’s 90s-tastic. It is spectacular*.


*My roommates, who were alternately horrified and amused by this movie, complained, but since they kept coming back to see more, it’s hard to take them seriously.


There is spontaneous lactation.

I'm not screencapping it, though.


There is dishoom-dishoom which prominently features our hero leaping about in a folding chair.

He jumps, chair and all, up to that windowsill.


Another fight wherein the handicapped sidekick beats up some baddies with his crutch while hopping on one foot. The word bhangra was used.



There is Lolo in fantastic color coordinated outfits.

Her bindi and lipstick match her sari!

A car driving away with Lolo’s hot pink sari.



Farida Jalal getting down.



There’s Govinda in drag doing a rendition of Dhak Dhak.



There is this song:
I would like to point out that you can, at this very moment, go into any clothing store and buy leggings that are these exact colors, some 20 years after this movie released. Can’t help you out on the spangly loincloth, though.

And melodrama!

There’s also a plot, which is much less important. Govinda and his pals get caught up in a search for a mysterious killer of attractive young women. The script writers seemed to have picked the ending out of a hat, and decided on a ten-minute speech by the villain at the end in lieu of putting effort into foreshadowing or plot development.


I could have done with more women as people and less of women as plot devices but it’s not like you’d go in expecting nuanced character portrayals from anybody. Altogether it is entertaining and whenever the plot slows down, there’s some spectacular occurrence and/or outfit to make up for it. It’s definitely not an entry-level movie (see “roommates, horrification of;” above) but if you’re a 90s fan, you NEED to see this.


To reiterate my point, here is a screenshot of Govinda stripping:
That shirt! I don't even.

You’re welcome.

Originally posted 5/25/13, just moving it over from the old blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment