Sunday, February 23, 2014

2013 Mini-Reviews: The Timepass

I only saw 16 of last year's Bollywood releases, but most of them were pretty much what I expected. The terrible ones were as terrible as I figured from the promos, the good ones were great, and the so-so ones were nice background noise. Excepting R... Rajkumar, which I ran out to see in the theater because I'm such a Shahid Kapoor fan, these ones I watched because I was vaguely interested and there was nothing else on Netflix or Erosnow.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Shahid as a masala hero delivering snappy lines and dancing with Sonakshi is a wonderful thing, but this movie needed more plot and fewer rape threats. I’m glad it did reasonably good business, but I’m not going to watch anything but the songs again.


Chennai Express

This was just an idle Netflix watch, but it was fun. It’s not anything it doesn't promise to be, but if you go in expecting some ridiculous Rohit Shetty adventure, lots of self-referential Shahrukh Khan-ing, and flipping cars over with machetes so they explode, then you will be rewarded with exactly that. Deepika acting as "Ms Subtitle" got a little irritating, considering I already had subtitles, but she was much less annoying than I expected from the trailer. I don't think it deserved all those Filmfare nominations, but I do think it deserved all the cash it raked in.


Kai Po Che
Technically, this is a good movie. The story of three young men and how their friendship lasts through business, family obligations, sectarian violence and finally, tragedy. And there’s cricket. It didn’t do a lot for me, though. I’m kind of done with male bonding and bildungsroman-ing and like 3 Idiots (this is another Chetan Bhagat adaptation) there is practically no female presence in the film. It’s nice that Sushant Singh Rajput got some recognition for this, though, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.


Go Goa Gone
Zombies. And Saif Ali Khan as a Russian mafia drug dealer turned zombie hunter. Puja Gupta as an astonishingly reasonable female character. Kunal Khemu being ridiculous, and getting chased around a tree by his party hookup-turned-zombie in true slow-motion Bollywood style. Yeah, most of the jokes were in the trailer, but it’s a fun watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment